Dating key services west
That first plat and the names used remained mostly intact and are still in use today. William Whitehead became chief editorial writer for the "Enquirer", a local newspaper, in 1834.
Duval Street, the island's main street, is named after Florida's first territorial governor, who served between 18 as the longest-serving governor in Florida's U. He preserved copies of his newspaper as well as copies from the "Key West Gazette", its predecessor.
Cubans and Bahamians regularly visited the Keys, the Cubans primarily to fish, while the Bahamians fished, caught turtles, cut hardwood timber, and salvaged wrecks.
Smugglers and privateers also used the Keys for concealment.
Key West is about 95 miles (153 km) north of Cuba at their closest points.
The city boundaries include the island of Key West and all or part of several nearby islands: Sigsbee Park, Fleming Key, Sunset Key, and the northern part of Stock Island.
The Key West National Wildlife Refuge and Great White Heron National Wildlife Refuge are officially open to the public on November 1, 2017 as they were before September 5th. Key West NWR regulations and restrictions This refuge is comprised of backcountry waters and mangrove islands extending from Key West west to the Marquesas Keys.
He bought the island because a friend, John Whitehead, had drawn his attention to the opportunities presented by the island's strategic location. No protests were made over the American claim on Key West, so the Florida Keys became the property of the United States.In 1766 the British governor of East Florida recommended that a post be set up on Key West to improve control of the area, but nothing came of it.During both the British and Spanish periods no nation exercised de facto control. Route 1, the longest north-south road in the United States.The island is about 4 miles (6.4 km) long and 1 mile (1.6 km) wide, with a total land mass of 4.2 square miles (11 km Duval Street, its main street, is 1.1 miles (1.8 km) in length in its 14-block-long crossing from the Gulf of Mexico to the Straits of Florida and the Atlantic Ocean.
Construction began in 1861 on two other forts, East and West Martello Towers, which served as side armories and batteries for the larger fort.